Every now and then, I can get a little stressed out. Ok, let’s be honest, my hands start to sweat and I feel like vomiting – pretty cool, right?
Actually, I find it rather lame. So, I wanted to share some of the ways I keep myself from letting stress build up to the point where I feel like I could head butt a tree.
Here are 9 ways I defuse stress:
1. Spend at least 30 minutes exercising, three to five times a week (make sure your doctor approves). I’m a little crazy, and wake up around 5am-5:30am and go for a run, 3 times a week. That is a miracle. But I cannot think of another strategy that has been more successful in helping me feel better overall.
2. Eat right (the right foods, the right portions, and at the right times). I said goodbye to soda as a regular part of my diet this year. I really don’t miss it, but I do find it ironic when I wear my Mountain Dew T-shirt every now and then.
3. Develop good time management skills. Seriously, get on this one. Like yesterday. Or even the day before. Time management = life management.
4. Make sure you get enough sleep (at home – sleeping at work or stoplights does not count!). I find that 7 hours leaves me feeling well rested in the morning (even when they start at 5am).
5. Smile more, laugh, and put some clean, good natured humor to use (too many puns can make your co-workers and family avoid you…which might help reduce stress as well).
6. Count your blessings each and every day (if you have trouble starting, remember just being able to count is a blessing!).
7. Set personal goals, and work towards making them happen.
8. Forgive others. Grudges sure do weigh a lot!
9. Practice optimism, expect the positive (throw away your “Murphy’s Law Field Guide”).
I hope those ways can be of some use to you in your quest for less stress in your life.